Recently I came home with a mirror I found at the thrift store for Lily’s room. She was horrified that I had bought it for her room. However, after giving it a face lift she was very pleased.
I spent a whopping $2.49 on the mirror. It was hand painted with flowers, the back was even signed. I’m sure it looked lovely in someone’s home at one time, but it seems a little out dated and did not belong in a pre-teen’s room.
The first step was to protect the glass. I used some blue painter’s tape, I was able to slide a small amount under the frame all around the glass.
Next, I took my electric sander to the front. I was able to rough up the paint just a little. My objective was not to remove all the paint, but rather to smooth out the surface and remove the finish.
I then applied a coat of Kilz to the frame. It blocked the darker colors from coming through the white paint.
After allowing two coats of white paint to dry, I grabbed some purple acrylic paint and a brush.
My daughter loved the new mirror for above her dresser.