This summer at AHG Summer Camp, I will be teaching from the Native American Merit Badge. It is an overwhelming task for the upper levels to cram it all into one week. It is like trying to study European culture from 1500 through today for all the different countries in one week.
Requirement #14 has the girls research five famous Native Americans. Here is a list of a few notable names.
- Crazy Horse – Lakota war leader
- Dahteste – participated in raids with her husband and help negotiate the surrender of Geronimo
- Geronimo – Apache warrior and leader
- Polly Cooper – Revolutionary war patriot
- Pocahontas – Saved the life of John Smith, a Virginia colonist
- Will Rogers – famous actor
- Sacagawea – traveled with Lewis and Clark
- Sequoyah – invented the Cherokee alphabet
- Sitting Bull – a “holy man” who lead the fight against American encroachment
- Squanto – helped the Pilgrims
- Tecumseh – Swanee chief and warrior
- Nancy Ward – Revolutionary war patriot
If you are looking for additional assistance with the Native American merit badge, check out these resources:
NOTE: The requirements have been greatly simplified here. Please be sure to read the full text in the American Heritage Girl Handbook to make sure you fully understand the requirements.