When helping our Tenderhearts complete the Stick Shifts and Safety Belts merit Badge, we created “I Spy” bottles.
Our troop has a very diverse group of Tenderhearts. This made creating a travel game a little more challenging. My non-reading first grader would not enjoy finding license plates. My only child from a single parent home would not enjoy playing Tic-tac-toe by herself. It is important to consider the girls and their needs.
Here are a few tips to consider when making I Spy bottles:
- Using wide mouth bottles (such as Gatorade) made it easier to fill
- Do not fill the bottle completely with rice, it needs enough room to move.
- Print the tags on cardstock and laminate them. (My tag did not contain all items, as the girls were able to pick what they put in their bottle).
- Glue the lid on the bottle (prevents spillage in mom’s car)
- Pom-pom balls do not work
- Plastic confetti, buttons, beads and bracelet charms work great.
The merit badge requirements have been simplified here. Please be sure to read the full text in the Girl Handbook to make sure you fully understand the requirements.