Since I seem to be on a roll, I thought I would continue my series on the Special Delivery merit badge and look at what to do with the stamps that you have started to collect. Should you hinge or mount your stamps, and what is the difference?
If you are an Explorer working on this badge, my short answer will be to use hinges but instead of just looking at the short answer take a look at the difference between the two.
- A hinge is a piece of glassine you can use to attach the stamp to your album.
- Hinges are inexpensive – about $4 for 1000 hinges.
- There is only one size hinge so no need to buy a lot of supplies
- Ideal for beginner collectors and those who have cancelled (used) stamp collection
- Check out this video on how to properly use a hinge (here)
- Mounts are plastic sleeves that you place your stamp in before affixing the sleeve to the page.
- Expensive: about $4 for 40 mounts depending on the size
- Because the come in a variety of sizes, you will need several sizes to begin a stamp collection
- Ideal for mint (new) stamps and valuable stamps
- Check out this video on how to properly use a stamp mount (here)
I hope this helps you as you work to complete the Special Delivery merit badge. Check out these additional blog posts related to this badge:
- Requirement #1
- Requirement #7
- Requirement #8
- Requirement #12
- Requirement #16
- Requirement #18
- Requirement #20
- Requirement #21
NOTE: The requirements have been simplified here. Please be sure to read the full text in the Girl Handbook to make sure you fully understand the requirements.